NEW ACADEMIC YEAR!!!
FALL SESSION STARTS AUG 3. We had a great summer having reopened June 1 after a small Covid-19 interruption. With our ‘safe-return-to-school’ plan as per CDC/BFTS advisory, children are enjoying their time together and adapting well to the changes in routines and procedures. Our conscientious staff is dedicated to keeping the education quality high and environment safe.
We remain committed to our families and encourage them to send their children, aside from welcoming fresh enrollments in the new academic year.
Children learn best when they are at school. In addition to academics, children learn social and emotional skills, engage in physical activity and connect with their peers. We want to continue supporting children and their families with in person care and classes. To do so, we have implemented specific steps to keep students and staff safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. See some of the highlights in this section.
We all need to take care of each other and do our part. We are asking all staff and families to agree to follow the recommended guidelines of the CDC when AWAY from school, so that we will all be in a better position and not to have to face additional closures during the school year. We want to ensure the safety of all students, staff and families and we must remain vigilant to protect the health of everyone involved at Decatur Montessori School.
- Parents are asked to keep children home if they show signs of illness.
- Carpool times are staggered to minimize the number of children arriving at the same time.
- Access to buildings is restricted to staff and children only. Children should arrive during designated carpool times.
- Staff greets families at their vehicles and conducts initial health screenings, including temperature checks.
- Children will not be allowed to join the classroom if they are exhibiting any of the signs or symptoms of COVID-19.
- We are asking that each child (over 2 years) wear a mask in and out of the building each day. When activities do not allow social distancing during the day, children over 2 years old will be asked to wear a face covering.
- Staff is advised to stay home if they have signs of illness and do not feel well.
- Staff is screened upon arrival with daily health screening questions and temperature checks.
- Staff wears protective equipment during the day while working with children and other staff members.
- Staff has been instructed in proper way to wear face coverings, including care of reusable face coverings (wash daily).
- Staff is assigned to a single classroom – no floaters are utilized to assist multiple classrooms.
- Staff is trained in CDC guidance for proper cleaning and disinfecting protocols.
Social and physical distancing
- Social distancing is practiced, modeled, and encouraged in an age-appropriate manner. Staff will model and instruct as needed.
- Physical distancing is implemented through seating arrangements at snack/lunch, naps, circle and activity times (designated seats, tables distanced).
- Mixing between groups/classes is restricted.
- All inter-group events and extracurricular activities are suspended.
- We restrict nonessential visitors, such as prospective parent tours
- Seating and nap mats (with head-to-toe positioning) are spaced out as much as possible with six feet being optimal.
- Snacks/Meals are served in classrooms with spaced out seating. Staff will place each child’s meal on a plate, to limit the use of shared serving utensils and ensure the safety of children with food allergies.
- Staggered arrival and drop-off times limit direct contact between staff and parents as much as possible.
- We follow proper hand hygiene guidance for adults and children such as washing hands frequently with soap and water for at least 20 seconds (about as long as it takes to sing “Happy Birthday” twice).
- In addition to usual handwashing, we make sure to wash hands:
– upon arrival in classroom in the morning
– before and after eating meals and snacks
– after blowing noses, coughing, or sneezing or when in contact with body fluids
– after toileting or changing diapers
- Children are encouraged to avoid touching eyes, nose, and mouth. We also provide instruction on how to cover coughs and sneezes with a tissue or an elbow.
- Signs are posted in each building/classroom regarding proper hygiene (such as handwashing procedures, covering coughs, etc.)
- Family of the Week laundry is temporarily suspended. Cloth items used by a child will be sent home with that child (i.e. bibs)
- Nap sheets/blankets sent home daily for laundering.
Cleaning and disinfecting
- The school continues to follow our rigorous hygiene, sanitation, and disinfection procedures. We also pay attention to the following:
Routinely clean, sanitize, and disinfect surfaces and objects that are frequently touched. Such as doorknobs, light switches, countertops, chairs, and playground structures.
2. Clean and sanitize all materials used in the environments at the end of the day.
3. Cleaning of nap mats each day and washing of individual bedding as needed but at least once a week.
- All bathrooms will be cleaned and disinfected regularly throughout the day. At a minimum, bathrooms should be cleaned and disinfected three times per day.
- The sharing of materials is minimized as much as possible. Materials that are shared are disinfected between uses by staff.
- Extensive use of disinfecting products is completed when children are not present, and the facility aired out before children return.
Decatur Montessori is the right choice
- AMI certified/recognized Montessori School since 1993
- 6 weeks to 6 years (infants, Toddlers, Primary)
- Full day, All Year-round Montessori program including summer
- Early care from 7 a.m.; after care until 6 p.m. to accommodate parent work schedules
- Low student to teacher ratio in a diverse close-knit community
- Enrichment programs Music, Art, Yoga, Spanish, Soccer etc. inbuilt into daily schedule
- STEM based activities
- Home-away-from-home in a natural landscape modular setting with fair sized playgrounds
- Long term (16+ years), qualified, skilled, trained, certified & security cleared Teachers & Staff
“We could not be happier with the kindness, the sincerity and the quality of education our two oldest children have received at Decatur Montessori School. DMS prepared them for the next stages of their education and ensured they had all the skills to do their best in life. Sending our third child to DMS.”
In the three years we have been a part of the DMS family we have always felt like our children are “home” when they are there. Both of our boys love their teachers- you can hear it in their voices and see it in their eyes when they get to school and when they are picked up
DMS has been the most heart-warming experience and we couldn’t be happier with our choice. This is not just a school/daycare, but a caring and open community that makes you feel welcomed every day. Our son has noticeably become calmer, more independent, more focused, and he is looking forward to going to school instead of dreading it.
We love DMS for many reasons. Both our daughters have attended DMS since they were 4 months old. We always felt reassured that our children were in the loving and capable hands of the teachers and staff. Our daughters have excelled in the Montessori environment, gaining independence and leadership.
Our 3-year old son, Gaspard, just loves DMS and always talk with enthusiasm of things he learns during the day, of his teachers and of his friends. We are so impressed about his concentration skill and independence. We love the way his teachers “guide” him towards knowledge but never telling him the “right” way to do it, so everything he achieves is really by himself, his own way.
We wish to share our satisfaction and happiness with DMS. Our 5 year old has been there for just over 2.5 years and we have seen him blossom into a fine student of language, manners, independent thought, and experiential learning. He has especially shown remarkable leap in his ability to read and write ahead of his day care friends. Do not hesitate to enroll at DMS.
We may have had suspicions, but we couldn’t have known, of just how good a decision we made when we enrolled Sadie in Decatur Montessori. 2 years in, we have no doubts. Since she started at DMS, Sadie has been loved, supported and encouraged by her wonderful community here. She goes to school with confidence and joy, and comes home with questions and light.
When our son first came to Decatur Montessori, he was 3 years old. He was really nervous about coming to a new school, but the children, teachers and staff welcomed him lovingly. He adjusted quickly to the classroom, because he was always busy and participating in the classroom in a way that made him feel useful and self-confident.
Decatur Montessori School communicates effectively with us as a family so that we always know what to expect. This consistency and stability is essential for the happiness of young children, but it is also important to parents with busy schedules and full lives. Our son—and our entire family—is thriving thanks to the love and support we receive from being part of the DMS family.
A year has passed that Adriel has graduated and moved on but he still continues to want to go back to Decatur Montessori and meet his beloved teachers and friends. The experience does not stop that day of graduation; Adriel continues to harvest his friendship with peers who graduated before and with him.
I wanted to let you know how happy we are to have chosen Decatur Montessori School as a partner to help Lydia grow and learn in these very important formative years. Lydia simply loves the school and every day we see the benefits of what she is learning and doing. Thank you DMS for the wonderful teachers, staff and keeping environment safe and secure.
When I started looking around for daycare for my son last spring, I visited DMS and immediately fell in love with the place and the people. I have not regretted the decision to join the DMS community.
Lily used to be so quiet and dingy. I tried socializing her at different parks, play dates, the pool and Sunday school. She would always try to hide behind me and would only play while watching other kids tentatively. Decatur Montessori brought her out of her shell and made her independent.
Our child formed strong bonds with the teachers, Assistants and school director. It was so comforting to know that he spent his days with nurturing individuals who had true interest in his development. The school staff that surrounded him enjoyed watching him grow and develop as much as we did. DMS really felt like home.
Thanks for making DMS a safe and healthy learning environment for Rachel. She loves the school and has grown in many positive ways over the past few years under the school’s caring guidance.
Decatur Montessori School accepts applications round the year for Infants, Toddlers as well as Primary communities for spaces available from time to time. Please schedule a personalized tour by choosing a date below